Last Updated July 25, 2018
Hoogalit (“we” or “us”) is passionate about supporting teachers in the classroom, and that’s why we created askMyClass – a platform to run a smoother classroom and save teachers time from those frequent daily routines and small tasks, while keeping students engaged. While we believe askMyClass can be a valuable tool, it’s important to us that information you provide us to achieve the goal of saving you time, is properly handled and that your privacy is respected.
By visiting askMyClass and the Site you are accepting and consenting to the practices described in this policy.
WHAT IS AMAZON ALEXA AND AMAZON ECHO & HOW DOES IT WORK?
Alexa-enabled devices such as the Amazon Echo use voice technology through verbal activation using a built-in microphone and speaker. Activating the speaker requires saying a designated word (known as the “wake word”) out loud, like “Alexa”, or tapping a button on the speaker or remote control.
Once an Amazon Echo is powered-on and ready, it remains in “standby” mode, and no light is visible. This is similar to a TV that’s been turned off with a remote control, going into “standby” mode. Pressing the volume button on the remote won’t turn on the TV. Only pressing the power button will turn the TV “on”.
Alexa “wakes up” or turns on from standby, when it hears a wake word (“Alexa” or one of 3 other options), when the action button with the “dot” is pressed on top of the devices, or when the remote control’s microphone button is pressed and held down. Once it turns on, a blue ring lights up, visibly indicating that it is waiting for a request, and that the device is now connected to the internet to send the voice request for processing in the Amazon cloud.
When it doesn’t hear the wake word, and there is no light visible, the Amazon Echo device remains in standby, and it doesn’t record and send what is spoken to the Amazon cloud.
WHAT IS ASKMYCLASS & HOW DOES IT WORK?
askMyClass helps teachers save time from frequent small tasks, while keeping students engaged, using voice technology on Alexa-enabled devices such as the Amazon Echo.
askMyClass, is a set of voice apps (or what Amazon calls a voice “skill”) that can be installed on Alexa-enabled devices, and a web application, which is the control center for teachers. Together, these apps are designed for the teacher to use in the classroom.
askMyClass voice apps allows teachers to use their voice, or tap a button, to make a request to Alexa instead of typing. The voice request is captured and transcribed into text by Amazon’s cloud technology, only the transcribed text is then provided to the askMyClass Service and processed by our software. We then send back information to Alexa to speak back to the teacher and class via their Alexa-enabled device. The askMyClass web application allows teachers to find information on the commands to say to Alexa, and add their own activities, either by typing text or uploading audio, for Alexa to speak back on request.
askMyClass allows teachers to have Alexa speak back a randomly chosen item from a list that the teacher has added to our web application in order to facilitate classroom activities, including spelling words, table groups, or student first names. In the event that a teacher adds in the web application and requests for a random student first name via voice, askMyClass will process the request, and send the result to Alexa to speak back the student name. We will not log the name that was selected and the time it spoken back in the text transcript prepared by the Amazon cloud to our Service or in our Service logs. Teacher’s cannot add student names via voice requests, only via their own account in our web application.
askMyClass apps are designed, controlled by and intended for teachers, to facilitate tasks that teachers manage during their classes, for example, requesting that students line up, or playing a brain break. These activities and content are designed to support classroom management, lesson warm-ups and reviews, and the classroom climate. askMyClass is not designed to capture student personal information, and none of the askMyClass skills ask students to provide personal information (such as a name or email address).
askMyClass is not intended for use by children under the age of 13 and does not knowingly collect personal information from children under 13 years of age. If you believe that your child may have provided us with personal information without your consent, you may alert us at privacy@goaskMyClass.com. If we learn that we have inadvertently collected any personal information from children under 13, we will automatically delete such information. If a child inadvertently says their name to askMyClass voice apps, askMyClass will not recognize or process the text transcript that is provided to us from the Amazon cloud. askMyClass’s logs will register the transcript as “undefined” and deliver an error message back for Alexa to speak back. askMyClass also provides an opt-out weekly reminder and three step guide to teachers on how to delete all captured voice requests stored by Amazon.
If a teacher enables students to engage and interact with the askMyClass skill, in the event that personal information of students is disclosed, such information is automatically deleted by askMyClass, and askMyClass will not recognize or process the text transcript that is provided to us from the Amazon cloud. For example, a teacher may ask a student to say “Alexa, ask My Class for mindfulness”, and our voice app will never ask the student to disclose personal information, or make this a condition of use, to engage askMyClass. Again, askMyClass also provides an opt-out weekly reminder and guide to teachers on how to delete all captured voice requests stored by Amazon.
askMyClass does not permit student accounts and no student records or student personal information is recognized or processed as part of the text transcript that askMyClass software processes.
INFORMATION WE COLLECT FROM TEACHERS
We will collect the following data:
- Account Sign-up and Profile Information. Only teachers or school administrators may create an askMyClass account. In order to create an askMyClass account, you will be asked to provide some basic information such as your first and last name, email address, state, telephone number, password and school information, such as school name, role, grade.
- Testimonials. We may collect certain personal information from users (such as your name, photo, and/or video) if teachers choose to give us a testimonial. We post testimonials on askMyClass which may contain teacher or student administrator personal information in the testimonial. We obtain teacher consent in advance to ensure we have permission to post this content publicly. To request removal of teacher personal information from our testimonials, please contact us at privacy@goaskMyClass.com.
- Contact Information. As a general visitor to the askMyClass Site or as a user of askMyClass Service, you may choose to provide us with your personal information, such as a name, email address and telephone number. Some examples include when you send us an email asking a question, participate in a video testimonial about askMyClass, or choose to participate in any research efforts with askMyClass to improve askMyClass).
When you send us a message using the “Contact Us” page or via email, the email addresses and phone numbers collected are not further used to market to the individual beyond providing the services requested or responding to the requests.
INFORMATION COLLECTED AUTOMATICALLY
The technologies and information we automatically collect include:
- Local Storage: We may also use, collect, and store information locally on your device using mechanisms such as browser web storage and application data caches. Like many services, askMyClass uses these technologies to analyze trends, gather demographic information, understand your engagement with askMyClass, administer askMyClass, tailor askMyClass for teachers, and to help askMyClass work better for you – for example, by remembering your language preferences.
- Device Information: We collect device-specific information such as your device type, device brand, operating system, hardware version, device settings, file and software names and types, battery and signal strength, and device identifiers. This helps us measure how askMyClass is performing, improve askMyClass for you on your particular device, and send you push notifications if you’ve opted in to receive them.
- Server Log Information: Like most online services, when you use askMyClass or the askMyClass Site, even if you have not created an askMyClass account or logged in, we automatically collect and store certain information in our server logs such as:
- Details of how you used our service, such as your activity askMyClass, and the frequency and duration of your visits to askMyClass or the askMyClass Site IP address
- Device event information such as crashes, system activity, hardware settings, browser type, browser language, the date and time of your request and referral URL
- Location Information: When you use askMyClass or browse the askMyClass Site, we may collect information about your geographic location, for example based on your IP address. We collect both coarse (i.e., city-level) location data and precise location data. We never collect precise geolocation data from students. We will not store or track your device location on an ongoing basis or without your permission. We do not share precise geolocation data with third-parties, other than our service providers as necessary to provide the askMyClass Service. If you no longer wish to allow us to track your location information, you may opt-out at any time by turning it off at the device level.
INFORMATION RECEIVED FROM THIRD-PARTY SOURCES
HOW WE USE YOUR INFORMATION
We use information about you in the following ways:
- Information You Give To Us. We will use this information:
- to provide you with the information, products and services that you request from us;
- to provide you with information about other goods and services we offer that are similar to those that you have already purchased or inquired about;
- to provide you with information about goods or services we feel may interest you. We will only contact you by electronic means (e-mail or SMS) where you have consented to this, or where we can otherwise lawfully do so.
- to notify you about changes to askMyClass;
- to ensure that content from askMyClass is presented in the most effective manner for you and for your computer.
- Information Automatically Collected. We will use this information:
- to administer askMyClass and for internal operations, including troubleshooting, site traffic, data analysis, testing, research, statistical and survey purposes;
- to improve askMyClass to ensure that content is presented in the most effective manner;
- as part of our efforts to keep askMyClass safe and secure;
- to make suggestions and recommendations to you and other users of askMyClass about goods or services that may interest you or them.
- Information We Receive From Third-Party Sources. We will combine this information with information you give to us and information we collect about you for the purposes set forth above.
askMyClass does not sell or rent any of your personal information to any third-party for any purpose, including for advertising or marketing purposes. Third-party advertising is not permitted on areas where teachers are required to log in to askMyClass and personal information is never used for behaviorally-targeted advertising (by us or third-parties). We use the information we collect from you to provide you with the best askMyClass experience. More specifically, this information collected from teachers is used to:
- Provide and improve askMyClass, for example by developing new products and features
- Respond to your emails, submissions, questions, requests for information or customer support
- Customize askMyClass for you, and improve your experience with it
- Send you information about features on askMyClass or changes to our policies and Service
- Provide information about events, announcements, offers, promotions, products, including third-party products, and services we think will be of interest to you
- To ensure that askMyClass remains safe and secure
We process this information to improve askMyClass and teachers’ experience with it, in protecting askMyClass, where necessary for the adequate performance of the contract with you, and to comply with applicable laws.
Additionally, we may offer you products and services that may be of your interest. You can opt-out of receiving marketing communications from us by following the unsubscribe instructions included in our marketing communications or changing your notification settings within your askMyClass account.
- Other Teachers You Share And Communicate With on askMyClass: No teacher information is made available to the general public through askMyClass. If you are a teacher you may choose to share information or content through askMyClass with other askMyClass users or teachers.
- Analytics Services: We use analytics services, including mobile analytics software, to help us understand and improve how askMyClass is being used. These services may collect, store and use information in order to help us understand things like how often you use askMyClass, the events that occur within the application, usage, performance data, and from where the application was downloaded.
- Aggregated Information and Non-identifying Information: We may share aggregated information (information about our users that we combine together so that it no longer identifies or references an individual user) and other non-personally identifiable information, including with users, partners or the press in order to, for example, demonstrate how askMyClass is used, spot industry trends, or to provide marketing materials for askMyClass. Any aggregated information and non-personalized information shared this way will not contain any personal information.
- Legal Requirements: We may disclose personal information if we have a good faith belief that doing so is necessary to comply with the law, such as complying with a subpoena or other legal process. We may need to disclose personal information where, in good faith, we think it is necessary to protect the rights, property, or safety of askMyClass, our employees, our community, or others, or to prevent violations of our Terms of Service or other agreements. This includes, without limitation, exchanging information with other companies and organizations for fraud protection or responding to law enforcement and government requests. Where appropriate, we may notify users about the legal requests, unless (i) providing notice is prohibited by the legal process itself, by court order we receive, or by applicable law; (ii) we believe that providing notice would be futile, ineffective, create a risk of injury or bodily harm to an individual or group, or create or increase a risk of fraud upon askMyClass, or its users. In instances where we comply with legal requests without notice for these reasons, we will attempt to notify that user about the request after the fact where appropriate and where we determine in good faith that we are no longer prevented from doing so.
HOW WE PROTECT YOUR INFORMATION
askMyClass uses commercially reasonable information security safeguards to protect its databases and servers against risks of loss, unauthorized access, destruction, misuse, modification, or inadvertent or improper disclosure of data. askMyClass segregates certain personally identifiable and other information about your use of askMyClass’s services into separate databases, some of which can be accessed only by a limited number of employees. Your askMyClass account is protected by a password. You can help us protect against unauthorized access to your account by keeping your password secret at all times.
We restrict access to personal information to authorized askMyClass employees, agents or independent contractors who need to know that information in order to process it for us, and who are subject to strict confidentiality obligations and may be disciplined or terminated if they fail to meet these obligations.
WHERE WE STORE YOUR PERSONAL DATA
askMyClass may, from time to time, contain links to and from the websites of our partner networks, advertisers and affiliates. If you follow a link to any of these websites, please note that these websites have their own privacy policies and that we do not accept any responsibility or liability for these policies. Please check these policies before you submit any personal data to these websites.
If you would like to review, correct, or update our use of your personal information that you have previously provided directly to us, you may contact at privacy@goaskMyClass.com. In your request, please make clear what information you would like to have changed, whether you would like to have your personal information suppressed from our database, or if you have other questions about your personal information. We will try to comply with your request as soon as reasonably practicable.
DELETING YOUR ACCOUNT
When you delete your account, we delete your profile information and any other content you provide in your profile and information collected through the permissions you’ve granted.
We aim to maintain askMyClass in a manner that protects information from accidental or malicious destruction. Because of this, even after you update or delete personal information you have provided us from askMyClass, your personal information may be retained in our backup files and archives for a reasonable period of time as necessary for our legitimate business interests, such as fraud detection and prevention and enhancing safety.
For example, if we suspend an askMyClass account for fraud or safety reasons, we may retain certain information from that account to prevent that user from opening a new account in the future. Also, we may retain and use your personal information to the extent necessary to comply with our legal obligations.
HOW TO OPT-OUT OF FUTURE COMMUNICATIONS
If you do not want us to contact you with marketing communications or other information regarding our products and services, you can let us know by following the unsubscribe instructions on any communications sent to you. You can also unsubscribe at any time by contacting us at privacy@goaskMyClass.com.
NOTICE TO CALIFORNIA RESIDENTS
We do not rent, sell or share personal information about you with third parties who are not our partners or affiliates for their own direct marketing purposes unless you have opted-in to such a disclosure or were offered the opportunity to opt-out of such a disclosure at the time you provided your personal information and elected not to opt-out.
Do Not Track: Currently, various browsers offer a “do not track” or “DNT” option that relies on a technology known as a DNT header, which sends a signal to web sites visited by the user about the user’s browser DNT preference setting. askMyClass does not track its users over time and across third-party websites to provide behaviorally-targeted advertising and therefore does not respond to Do Not Track (DNT) signals.